Looking Back at 2014
Dear CIRI Members,
We have been busy over the past 12 months, working towards advancing the CIRI mandate through the following initiatives:
We Represented Your Views on Public Policy
- We continued to meet with regulators and various stakeholders to advocate for a reduced early warning reporting threshold of 5%, down from 10%.
- We submitted five comment papers on:
- Aequitas Innovations Inc. and Aequitas Neo Exchange Inc. as an Exchange;
- Women on Boards and in Senior Management (two times);
- Proxy Advisory Firms; and
- Canada Business Corporations Act.
We Kept You Current on Leading IR Practices through Professional Development and Resources
- We hosted 44 professional development events between National and the Chapters, all aimed at keeping our members up-to-date on the changing role of investor relations and the evolving capital markets. Many of these events were also available via live and/or archived webcast.
- We issued three IR Backgrounders/IR Briefs on:
- Social Media;
- Equity Crowdfunding; and
- Advance Notice By-laws.
- We published four issues of IR leader and four issues of IR focus.
We Raised Awareness of the IR Profession
- With the successful completion of the third CIRI/Ivey Investor Relations Certification Program and the certification exam that followed, 12 students were awarded the CPIR designation. There are now 53 CPIRs, representing 10% of our membership.
We also undertook another very important initiative with respect to the new Not-for-Profit Corporations Act that comes into effect in October 2014. In order to comply, we needed to review and revise our By-laws. We saw this as an opportunity to improve our governance practices, an approach that we advocate for in the capital markets. At the June Annual Meeting, our members approved the revised By-laws.
But We Didn’t Stop There
We took what you said in our Member Needs Survey to heart. You asked for the following new CIRI member benefits: free member webinars; IR best practices research; and an IR resource library.
During 2014, we have either delivered or are working on each of these new member benefits.
- We hosted two free to members webinars; Liquidity and Trading Dynamics (in July), and Job Hunting Bootcamp for Today’s Economy (in August). Did you miss them? Not to worry. They are available in the archived webcast section of CIRI.org so you can listen to them at your leisure.
- We launched our IR best practice research with a survey on Guidance Practices. This survey is currently out in the field and we expect to publish the results before year-end. Watch for our next survey that will be on Governance.
- We have collected documents for the IR resource library. We will be introducing this new resource in phases starting in December.
In the Member Needs Survey, you also indicated that you would like CIRI to conduct our IR Compensation & Responsibilities Survey biannually. As such, we will be going into the field with this survey in late November.
As 2014 draws to a close, I would like to thank all of you for your continued support of the organization. I encourage you all to renew your memberships and stay tuned for additional benefits in 2015.
Best wishes to you and your families for safe and happy holidays.
President & CEO, CIRI