Message from the President & CEO
Dear CIRI Members,
In 2015, we were busy advancing the CIRI mandate through the following initiatives:
We Represented Your Views on Public Policy
- We continued to meet with regulators and various stakeholders to
advocate for a reduced early warning reporting threshold of 5%, down
- We submitted five comment papers on: Aequitas Innovations Inc. and Aequitas Neo Exchange Inc. as an Exchange; Women on Boards and in Senior Management (two times); Proxy Advisory Firms; and Canada Business Corporations Act.
We Kept You Current on Leading IR Practices through Professional Development and Resources
- We hosted 44 professional development events between National
and the Chapters, all aimed at keeping our members up-to-date on the
changing role of investor relations and the evolving capital markets.
Many of these events were also available via live and/or archived
- We issued four IR Backgrounders/IR Briefs on: Gender Diversity and Board Renewal Mechaninsms; Social Media; Equity Crowdfunding; and Advance Notice By-laws.
- We published six issues of IR leader and six issues of IR focus.
We Raised Awareness of the IR Profession
Delivering More Member Value in 2015
- With the successful completion of the third CIRI/Ivey Investor
Relations Certification Program and the certification exam that
followed, 12 students were awarded the CPIR designation. There are now
53 CPIRs, representing 10% of our membership.
We started 2015 with the objective of providing you, our members, with even more resources to make your job easier.
- In February we issued the first IR directions, periodic surveys to establish benchmarks and identify trends in the practice of IR, with a look at guidance practices. The second survey, on Board-Shareholder Engagement and Governance Practices, is currently in the field and we intend to publish the report in Q2.
- In late 2014, we launched Phase I of the IR eLibrary, sample documents from IROs including templates, plans, schedules and policies, with documents on marketing and disclosure. Phase II is currently under development and will be launched in Q1.
- We have two free-to-member webinars scheduled for the summer. More details on timing and topics will be announced during Q1.
These new member benefits are in addition to the ones you are accustomed to receiving from CIRI. We will continue to evolve our member benefits to ensure we are meeting your needs. Should you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to contact me.
President & CEO, CIRI