Where We've Been; Where We're Going
Where We've Been
Over the last year we have delivered the benefits that members are accustomed to receiving. Here are the highlights:
- We continued to advocate for a reduced early warning reporting threshold of 5%, down from 10%.
- We issued seven comment papers on:
- Early Warning Reporting Threshold;
- <IR> Framework; Women on Boards (twice);
- Proxy Voting Infrastructure;
- Canada Business Corporations Act; and
- Proxy Advisory Firms.
- We issued four IR Backgrounders/IR Briefs on:
- Advance Notice By-laws (twice);
- Say-on-Pay; and
- Proposed Governance and Disclosure Rules for Venture Issuers.
- We delivered 48 professional development events, many of which were also available via webcast.
- We recognized 20 new Certified Professionals in Investor Relations (CPIRs).
- We released CIRI’s updated Guide to Developing an IR Program.
We also undertook another very important initiative with respect to the new Not-for-Profit Corporations Act that comes into effect in October 2014. In order to comply, we needed to review and revise our By-laws. We saw this as an opportunity to improve our governance practices, an approach that we advocate for in the capital markets. At the June Annual Meeting, our members approved these new and improved By-laws.
Where We’re Going
In the first issue of IR leader for 2014, I provided some highlights from the Member Needs Survey. I discussed new benefits that our members would like to see CIRI offer: an IR resource library, IR best practices research and free member webinars. We got to work right away on these initiatives. Here is the progress we have made so far this year.
IR Resource Library
The resource library will contain IR-relevant documents ranging from strategic plans to investor day checklists. Members will have access to these resources to assist in the development of strategies and processes.
We are populating the IR resource library and asking our members to contribute documents that would benefit their peers. Launch of this resource will take place in the fall of 2014.
IR Best Practices Research
Based on member feedback, we have selected governance practices as the topic of our first research paper. In the second half of 2014, we will develop and circulate a questionnaire so that we can identify best practices and trends in governance. The results will be compiled in a summary report and will be discussed at a CIRI event in the fall. Thanks to RR Donnelley for sponsoring this research.
Free Member Webinar
We hosted the first of our free to members webinars - in July on Liquidity and Trading Dynamics. A second free to members webinar is scheduled for August on Job Hunt Bootcamp for Today’s Economy.
There is a lot still to come for CIRI members in 2014 so if you are not a CIRI member yet, you should be.
President & CEO, CIRI