CIRI Alberta Chair's Message
I am very excited to assume the role of Chair of your CIRI Alberta Board for 2015-2016. For those of you who don’t know me, I am Director, Finance and Communications for AltaGas Ltd. I have been a CIRI member since 2007 and on the CIRI Alberta board for the last four years. I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can at upcoming events.
I feel honoured to be part of this very talented Board. I have a strong appreciation for the tremendous work of my colleagues and the past Chairs. Alison Trollope, our outgoing CIRI Alberta Chair, has left some big shoes to fill and I will work closely with her and the rest of the Board to ensure we continue to make CIRI Alberta valuable, informative and fun. CIRI Alberta has been very successful to date and recently marked several key accomplishments:
- Over the past 18 months, 61 new members have joined CIRI Alberta. Every new member brings a wealth of experience, new perspectives and insights which can benefit all of us.
- We have paired 21 protégés and mentors with very positive feedback for our mentorship program.
- We held a number of breakfast “Fireside Chats” and “Brains-over-Beers” events, in addition to the holiday social and AGM, which are free for members.
- Sessions to-date in 2015 featured roundtables with senior IR executives (“What’s on Your Mind”) and sell-side analysts (“Ensure Your Disclosure Communicates Effectively”).
A significant number of CIRI Alberta members are also taking advantage of CIRI National programs and resources, including the CPIR program, the new IR eLibrary, CIRI publications, job postings and the national conference.
CIRI Alberta’s focuses on professional development and education through sharing ideas and resources; creating networking and outreach opportunities; direct mentorship; and advocacy – continuously raising the awareness of the importance of IR not only in the public markets but also within the C-Suite of organizations. Your CIRI Alberta board recently held its annual strategy and programming session to plan events that will provide you with valuable, relevant, interesting and timely information.
Ideas for upcoming sessions include:
- An economic update, the macro impact on IR.
- Inside the Boardroom, trends in governance.
- Communicating change.
- View of IR from the C-suite.
- The investment decision.
One of the most important components of a successful chapter is feedback from members. I encourage all members to reach out directly to me or to any of your CIRI Alberta Executive members. We would like to know what you want or need from CIRI Alberta as an IR professional as we strive to continuously improve our programing and events.
Have a great summer, stay in touch and stay tuned for more information on our 2015-2016 season!
Jess Nieukerk (Jess.Nieukerk@altagas.com)
Chair, CIRI Alberta